Friday, June 3, 2011

Cheddarific Pooch Treats


So Colin and I don't have kids yet but as many of you probably know, I tend to spoil my dog just a little. Okay a lot. She's my baby and I'm sure that'll change once we have little ones running around. However for now, Cheddar is probably a little too spoiled for her own good. What can I say, she's pretty cute.


I love to cook and one of the things I love to make is dog treats. Mostly because you really can't screw up too badly. Especially when your dog loves to take inventory in the trash can on a regular basis. All dogs do that....right?


So today I made these fabulous treats for the pooper and her current roommate Scooter. While they love to take up residence in the kitchen while I cook, they were particularly intrigued by the smells these gave off this afternoon. Maybe it's the cheese. Maybe it's the oats. Whatever it is they were more than happy to taste test my new creations. So feel free to make these for your furry child. I guarantee they'll love 'em. I can prove it only because these two would never sit on command for anything else. Trust me. I tried.




  
Cheddarific Pooch Treats
Makes approximately 18-24 small biscuits.


1 cup boiling water
1-2 cubes chicken or beef bouillon
1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup rolled oats
3 Tbsp brewers yeast
½ cup milk
½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 egg, beaten
¾ cup cornmeal
3 cups flour
  
Preheat oven to 325°. Combine boiling water and bouillon and stir to dissolve bouillon. In a large bowl mix bouillon water, margarine or butter, oats and brewers yeast. Allow mixture to stand for fifteen minutes or until oats have softened and absorbed some of the liquid. Stir in milk, cheese, egg and cornmeal until combined. Stir flour in one cup at a time until dough becomes stiff and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Turn onto a floured surface and roll into a ½” circle. Using cookie cutters of your choice, cut into shapes.

1 egg
2 Tbsp water
¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  
In a small bowl whisk egg and water. Brush egg wash over shapes and sprinkle with a few shreds of cheese.  Line shapes on a greased baking sheet and bake 35-40 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cheese is crisp. Cool and allow biscuits to sit out overnight to dry. Store in an airtight container and out of sight from counter surfing canines. 

Woof!



2 comments:

  1. Those are some lucky puppies! Summer church started yesterday and it made us miss you guys again. Hope you're feeling settled :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :) cheddar is such a lucky pup to have an awesome mom like you!! (btw, i upgraded to google chrome. i can finally post comments!! YAYYY!!)

    ReplyDelete