Monday, March 15, 2010

Like the Little Mermaid

So I'm working on conquering a fear of mine. Scuba diving. Living out on Guam has convinced me I'd be a fool NOT to at least try it. So today, with my brave friend Andrea we began lessons. It started with four hours in the classroom learning all kinds of scary things like what to do when you run out of air at 100 feet below the surface. And no, the answer isn't "Freak out and swim to the surface!!". The day included two sessions, the second was 4 1/2 hours in the pool. We did all kinds of stuff, like learning how to find your regulator (your breathing device) and mask when they fall off, controlling your ability to sink and float and blowing water out of your mask, something I had to do about 300 times. I'm still not sure if I'll love this sport when I'm done but I do know I'll appreciate it so much more than I thought!

I still have two more days to go. Tomorrow we go to Gab Gab Beach to start diving in the ocean, eeeks!

4 comments:

  1. so proud of you! cant wait to go diving with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right..it's such a great opportunity! I'm living vicariously through you right now. I know you can do it- can't wait to see how it goes in the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear how it went!! Congratulations on conquering your fear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I'm sure once you get the hang of it you'll be a pro and all those fears will go away! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete